When you think of visiting Wyoming, usually the idea of Yellowstone Park in the summer comes to mind. Wyoming boasts of wonderful, not too hot summers, with rivers full of trout and an enviable wildlife population. But what isn’t commonly known outside of the state is what a great place it is to visit in the winter too. Many outdoor enthusiasts put skiing Jackson Hole on their bucket list, and everyone should try it at least once. But there are a lot of other outdoor activities planned around the state too, many of them unique to Wyoming. So if you have a free weekend coming up in the next few months, think about attending one of these events:
- January 20-22: The Burbot Bash Ice Fishing Derby, Flaming Gorge Reservoir. This is held to help reduce the number of these non-native fish that were illegally introduced into the reservoir that threaten the native trout population.
2. January 21-21: Saratoga Lake Ice Fishing Derby. This one also includes a Small Fry Derby for children under 14.
3. January 27-February 4: Pedigree Stage Stop Race. This dog sled race has been held annually since 1996 and helps raise awareness of the need for childhood vaccinations. The race starts in Jackson, Wyoming, with stops in Driggs, Idaho; Alpine, Wyoming; Lander, Wyoming; Pinedale, Wyoming; Big Piney, Wyoming; and Kemmerer, Wyoming; the race ends in Evanston, Wyoming.
4. February 10-11: Cody Ice Climbing Festival, Cody, Wyoming. Clinics are offered for beginning through advanced climbers, the perfect place to try ice climbing or hone your skills.
5. February 10-11: Alpine Winter Jubilee, Alpine, Wyoming. Fat tire demos and a lighted parade and scavenger hunt will be held.
6. February 11-12: Meeteetse Ice Fishing Derby, Meeteetse, Wyoming. Held on Sunshine Reservoir, not far from Cody, Wyoming.
7. February 17-20: Pinedale Winter Carnival, Pinedale, Wyoming. Chalk full of winter activities, with a cardboard sled derby, skijoring, ice sculptures, snowmobile racing, and more.
8. February 18-19: Viva Naughton Ice Fishing Derby, Kemmerer, Wyoming. Put on by the Kemmerer Lions Club, held on Lake Viva Naughton north of Kemmerer.
9. February 18-19: Cutter Races, Jackson, Wyoming. Horses pull chariot-like carriages in races put on by the Shrine Club, which donates to the Shriner’s Hospitals for children.
10. February 18-19: Sundance Winter Festival, Sundance, Wyoming. Nordic ski races, a snowmobile poker run, skijoring, and bar stool races. That’s an “only in Wyoming” thing, as seen in this photo from sundancewinterfestival.com:
11. February 18: Ice Fest, Gillette, Wyoming. An ice carving competition and “make your own” ‘smores. Need I say more?
12. March 3-5: Togwotee Winter Classic Bike Race, Togwotee Pass, Wyoming. Fat tire racing on either a 25 or 35 mile loop, group rides, and live music. This location also offers one of the most amazing views of the Teton Mountain range.
13. March 24-27: Snowmobile Hill Climbs, Jackson, Wyoming. Competitors attempt to ride their machines up Snow King Mountain.
Don’t let the cold keep you away, dress warmly and come on over to have a great time with the friendly and fun loving people of Wyoming!